Cystic Fibrosis Christmas Cards What Is Life Like For A Person With Cystic Fibrosis After A Lung Transplant?

What is life like for a person with Cystic Fibrosis after a lung transplant? - cystic fibrosis christmas cards

I wonder if anyone has experience, knowledge here, like how long you in the hospital after the surgery? As the quality of life and is after the double-lung transplant? Can you develop back problems in cystic fibrosis lungs? I am 17 and will undergo a lung transplant because of my Douple including cystic fibrosis and poor pulmonary function due to illness. I'm nervous.

1 comments:

Steve Ferkau said...

Hey You!!!

I have cystic fibrosis and I've been breathing with two, beautiful new lungs for almost 10 years now... The quality of life after double-lung transplant blows my freakin' mind... Probably like you -- I'd never understood what it was like to breathe normally -- we've always had crappy lungs and we've never understood any different... It's been almost 10 years and I think about it all the time... I hope your journey is as amazing as mine has been...

As for back problems -- we CFers often end up a bit sedentary when we're dealing with end-stage CF... If you are or have been a regular prednisone user (and you likely will be post transplant), that can aggravate issues with osteoporosis -- which can likely cause back problems... Also -- we CFers develop a number of different ways and postures to pull air into our lungs -- many of us pull our shoulders up, aggravating our backs and necks -- and we'll curve our backs and shoulders forward -- so, yes, we can develop back problems...

I have a little website at www.ClimbingForKari.org and my email address is towards the bottom of that website, if you have any further questions about lung transplant. I also blog about organ donation at www.ReviveHope.com

Love, Steve

Steve Ferkau
Chicago, IL

Post a Comment